Tuesday, May 06, 2008

Ronald McDonald 5K Race Report

The Ronald McDonald is a special 5K for me, 4 years ago, it was the first 5K I ever walked, which I didn't train for, but never thought I would complete it, I was way overweight, and out of shape, but I did it with coworkers and friends, and it was okay, it wasn't that bad. Three years ago was the first time I ran the race, I again did it with friends, it was good, and I enjoyed it. It was the first time I ever ran a 5K and it set me on fire for racing, and a new passion!

However this year was definitly different, this year, I too ran it with friends, but I ran it with people who I helped train to run it and for some of them, it too was their first ever 5K. For some it would be completeing a task they too never thought they could complete.

All of the days leading up to race day this year were different, but good. Instead of focusing on all the things I was normally worrying about, weather or not I was trained enough, weather or not I was going to make it all thru, I was more worried about getting the info I needed to give to my people I was helping training, etc. It was definitly a learning experience for me, and I truely enjoyed it.

Even racing was different. I encouraged all of my people to have a mantra, my mantra for the day was I am not going to give up, I am doing great, I can do this, I can do all things thru Christ who gives me Strength. All of which played over my head at times, but most of the race, I was thinking about my people, watching them, wondering how they were doing.

For the entire race except about 1 minute at the beggining of the race I could see Dana she was about a 2 tenths of a mile ahead of me, I watched her, It made me smile, she was running strong, she had good form, I would think, she looks strong, I wish I could yell GO DANA right now but I don't think she could hear me.. if only I could get a little closer, and then I would run harder, but then as I got closer she would run faster :)

I was soo encouraged by how strong she looked running thru the course, how she would make it all the way to the finish line, it gave me great joy. I wondered at times where the others were but I too felt, and had confidence they were doing great, when I crossed the finish line, there they were, and shortly after me (less than 30 seconds), came in the last one! Everyone did great, it felt sooo great to see all of these amazing people running and pushing past things they never thought they could accomplish. I finshed in 33:44 cutting just under 7 minutes off last years time!!! :)

It's the first race of the season, and everyone did great!! I am excited to see what else is in store, and whats next! I have a lot of races planned on my calendar this year, so that is exciting but kind of scary all at the same timg, but I know it will be fun, especially with friends along the way!

CongratS! EVERYONE!!!

P.S. - I thought this would be fun, its amazing how many changes you can make in such a short time :)

1 Comments:

At 3:12 PM , Anonymous Anonymous said...

You are the best Leslie! And what an awesome photo at the bottom! That is so great!

 

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home